FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups raw shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13×9″ baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together the sugar and oil.
- Add the eggs and beat until well mixed.
- Add the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Fold in the carrots and nuts.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 55 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when you touch it.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Make the frosting. Using an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese, scraping down the sides as needed, until the mixture is light and fluffy. This will take about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar, ½ a cup at a time, until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Add the vanilla and beat the frosting on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with additional nuts if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 24 hours and in the refrigerator for longer than 24 hours.