- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the buttermilk and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add in the flour and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the center bounces back when you touch it.
- While the cake is baking, make the topping. In a bowl, combine the butter, milk, brown sugar and nuts. Mix well.
- Spread this mixture all over the top of the warm cake.
- Place under the broiler (turned to low) and bake for 1-3 minutes or until the nut topping is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool.
- Serve warm alone, with whipped cream or with ice cream.