FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple with juice (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
FOR THE FROSTING:
- ½ cup butter (room temperature)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts for sprinkling on top (optional)
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan (or spray with cooking spray).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and eggs.
- Add in the pineapple and vanilla and mix well.
- Add in the flour and baking soda. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla (using a hand or stand mixer) until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the cream cheese frosting over the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Store any leftover cake in the refrigerator in a sealed container.