FOR THE CAKE:
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ cup buttermilk
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter (softened)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 5-7 tablespoons milk*
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour 2 8” round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add in the molasses and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, mixing between each addition.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the edges of the cake, then turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
- In a stand mixer bowl, with the mixer on medium speed, whip the butter for 2 minutes until it is almost white in color.
- Add in the powdered sugar, spices, vanilla and 4 tablespoons of milk. Beat on low speed for 3-5 minutes, adding in the last tablespoons of milk if the buttercream needs to be thinner.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate.
- Cover the top with frosting.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake, smoothing the frosting as you go.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.