- 1 box white cake mix (plus the ingredients on the back of the box)
- 12 ounces red jam (raspberry, strawberry, etc)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (at room temperature)
BLACK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 4 ounces chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Black food coloring (several drops)
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 6-inch cake pans with a round of parchment, then spray with non-stick spray.
- Prepare cake according to box instructions. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans, then bake 22-25 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Wrap cooled cakes in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
- Whip butter until creamy.
- Reduce speed to low and add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until well blended.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to whip on medium for 1 minute.
- Add more cream as needed until desired consistency is reached. Whip until the frosting is smooth and silky.
FOR THE GANACHE:
- Prepare the ganache so it can cool while you are putting the cake together.
Bring heavy whipping cream just to a simmer then pour over chocolate chips, making sure the chocolate is fully covered.
- Let set for 5 minutes.
- Whisk gently to combine cream, chocolate, and food coloring. Set aside to cool.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- When ready to assemble, trim the dome off of all cake and reserve for another use (or eat it!)
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Pipe a ring of buttercream around the edge, then spoon in jam filling.
- Repeat with remaining layers.
- Apply a thin coat of frosting all over the cake. Chill for 20 mins. Use the remaining frosting to coat the cake.
- Use freshly made ganache for drips (make sure your cake is very cold so ganache sets quickly).
- Using a spoon, spoon the ganache around the top edge of cake allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Serve with a meat cleaver if you’d like!