FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 10” angel food cake (homemade or store bought)
- 4 cups whipped topping
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple in heavy syrup (1 can)
- 2 packages unflavored gelatin (.25 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 10 ounces flaked coconut
- Stemmed maraschino cherries
- Line a 4 quart round mixing bowl with parchment paper.
- Break or cut the cake up into small bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Drain the crushed pineapple but reserve the syrup. You want 1 cup of syrup so if there is not enough, add enough water to make 1 cup.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the cold water.
- Add the lemon juice, pineapple syrup, sugar and boiling water. Mix well. Place the mixture into the refrigerator to thicken slightly.
- After the mixture has thickened slightly, add the crushed pineapple and 4 cups of whipped topping. Fold together until combined.
- Place a layer of cake cubes in the prepared bowl. Then layer with pineapple mixture. Continue layering cake and pineapple mixture until it is all used.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 12 hours.
- The next day, turn the cake out onto a cake plate. Remove the parchment paper.
- Frost with remaining whipped topping and sprinkle with coconut.
- Garnish with stemmed maraschino cherries on top.