FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 box yellow cake mix (15.25 ounces)
- 16 ounces fruit cocktail (1 can, with juice)
- 3.4 ounces instant lemon pudding (1 small box)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
FOR THE SUGAR TOPPING:
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
FOR THE COCONUT FROSTING:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan. Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the cake ingredients. Mix using a hand mixer on low speed until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, then mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and nuts evenly on top of the batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake tests done.
- Prepare the coconut frosting by melting the sugar, milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 15 minutes.
- Then mix in the shredded coconut.
- Spread the topping on the cake.
- Serve with whipped cream.