FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 16 ounces cream cheese frosting about 2 cups
- ¼ cup caramel sauce with extra for drizzle on the cake
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In an UNGREASED 8×8 pan add the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves and salt.
- Using a whisk stir all the ingredients in the pan until well-mixed. Use a small spoon to get the flour mixture out of the corners and along the edges moving it into the middle to be whisked.
- Next using a spoon make a big well in the dry ingredients on one side of the pan and a smaller well on the other side of the pan.
- In the large well place the vegetable oil.
- In a smaller well pour the vinegar.
- Next pour the cold water over all the ingredients in the pan.
- Whisk until combined. Use a spoon to get into the corners and along the edges of the pan to move the flour mixture out to the middle to be whisked.
- Once everything is well-combined if there are bubbles in the batter, gently tap the pan on the counter a few times.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven to cool before frosting and serving.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Place the contents of the canned cream cheese frosting in a small bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of caramel sauce to the frosting and stir until well-combined.
- Frost the cooled cake and then drizzle extra caramel.