FOR THE DATES:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped dates
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
FOR THE TOPPING:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup walnuts
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13” baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the dates in a small bowl. Pour the boiling water over the dates and sprinkle with baking soda. Mix to combine. Set this mixture aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and egg. Mix again.
- Add the date mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix just until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake tests done.