FOR THE CAKE:
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 orange rind grated
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 ¼ cups orange marmalade
- 1 cup chopped pecans
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 375º Fahrenheit. Grease with shortening and flour 3 8” round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Mix in the grated orange rind.
- Mix the fruit juices with the water in a measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture alternately with the juice, mixing between each addition.
- Pour the batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center of the cake tests done.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
MIX THE FILLING:
- In a small bowl, combine the marmalade and nuts. Set aside.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, orange juice and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler. Mix thoroughly.
- Place over boiling water and beat constantly until mixture holds a peak. This will take at least 7 minutes, but most likely closer to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add grated orange rind and beat until thick enough to spread.
- Makes 5-6 cups of frosting.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate.
- Top with half of the marmalade filling.
- Place another cake on top.
- Top with the remaining marmalade filling.
- Place the last cake layer on top. Frost the outside with the whipped frosting.
- Decorate with orange slices