FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (11-12 eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (plus extra for garnish)
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 3 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- Pinch salt
- Green gel food coloring
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift together ¾ cup of sugar and the flour three times. Set it aside.
- In a clean, grease-free bowl, beat the egg whites until they are frothy .
- Add the salt and cream of tartar, then beat until the eggs hold stiff peaks.
- Add the remaining sugar, three tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour/sugar mixture about ½ a cup at a time, then fold in the vanilla flavoring and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food cake tube pan.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and looks dry.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately invert the pan, standing it upside down on 3 glasses that are equal in height for support.
- Allow the cake to cool upside down completely, then slide a knife around the sides and center of the pan to loosen the cake.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Place all of the frosting ingredients into an electric mixing bowl.
- Whip on medium high speed for about 3-5 minutes or until a fluffy whipped cream has formed.