- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup apple cider (NOT vinegar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large separate bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon-sugar mixture in a small dish for sprinkling the top before baking. Set those two tablespoons aside.
- Add the applesauce, melted butter, apple cider, egg and vanilla extract to the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture and whisk to combine. Do not overmix.
- Carefully pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle the reserved cinnamon-sugar mix over the top of the batter.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the pan rest for 10 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Then remove from the pan and place the cake directly on the rack to finish cooling. Serve alone or with your favorite vanilla frosting or whipped cream. Enjoy!
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 9 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information. The information in the nutrition box are calculated through a program and there is room for error. If you need an accurate count, I recommend running the ingredients through your favorite nutrition calculator.**
Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 261mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 349IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg