FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup shortening*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 2 tablespoons salted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit. Grease the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Add in the eggs and using a hand mixer on low speed, mix again until smooth.
- Add in the milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until well mixed, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour ⅓ of the batter into a small bowl.
- In the small bowl of batter, add the molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Mix well.
- Pour all of the plain batter into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the spiced batter on top in small spoonfuls.
- Use a knife to gently swirl or “marble” the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when you touch it.
- Cool completely.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- In a small mixing bowl, cream the butter.
- Then add in the powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Mix well.
- Add in milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the icing is at a spreading consistency.
- Frost the cooled cake.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
*You can use butter instead of shortening. It will slightly change the texture and flavor of the cake, but it works well.The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 15 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information. The information in the nutrition box are calculated through a program and there is room for error. If you need an accurate count, I recommend running the ingredients through your favorite nutrition calculator.**
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 129IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg