FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 ¾ cup all purpose flour 400 grams
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon ground anise
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar 350 grams
- 1 cup unsalted butter 200 grams
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk 350 ml
- 3 tablespoons milk (can be plant-based) 45 ml
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 7 ounces cold heavy whipping cream 200 grams
- 8 ounces philadelphia cheese 225 grams
- 1 ⅓ cup powdered sugar 150 grams
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ounces fresh cranberries 60 grams
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C). Grease and line the base and sides of three 7 inch (18 cm) cake tins.
- In a large bowl whisk together: flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, espresso powder, salt, spices and sugar.
- In a small pot melt butter. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients: eggs, buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract and honey.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Add melted butter. Whisk just until combined.
- Split the batter equally between the 3 tins. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, at 355°F (180°C).
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack, before assembling the cake.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream heavy cream on a high mixer speed until light and fluffy (approx. 6-8 minutes).
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes.
- Add the cream cheese, a few cubes at a time, until you’ve added all of the cream cheese. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute until blended.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl, add sugar, salt and cinnamon and mix for 1 more minute. Split the frosting into 3: 2 smaller parts and 1 larger.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Place the first cake on a plate or a cake stand. Top with the first, smaller serving of frosting.
- Then, layer with the second and third cake with a serving of frosting in between.
- Finish off with the third, biggest serving of the frosting and garnish with washed and drained cranberries or your fruit of choice.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 10 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of frosted cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information. The information in the nutrition box are calculated through a program and there is room for error. If you need an accurate count, I recommend running the ingredients through your favorite nutrition calculator.**
Calories: 703kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 180mg | Sodium: 318mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 56g | Vitamin A: 1344IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 2mg