FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 3/4 cup ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE GLAZE:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease with shortening and flour a 10-inch or 12 cup bundt pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa powder, salt and water. On medium heat, heat until the butter is melted. Whisk to combine well. Set aside to cool to room temperature (warm is ok, you just don’t want it too hot).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking soda.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add eggs and whisk to combine.
- Fold in sour cream and vanilla extract until the batter is smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 40-45 minutes until the top lightly springs back and the cake is baked through (toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan before turning it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
MAKE THE GANACHE:
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium size bowl. In a separate bowl/pan, heat the cream to a simmer (either in the microwave or in a saucepan) and pour over the chocolate chips.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Add the vanilla and stir the mixture until smooth. The glaze will set as it cools; if you want a thin drizzle, pour it over the cake while the glaze is still warm but if you want a thicker frosting, let it cool slightly.
- Once the cake is cooled, place it on a serving plate and pour the ganache over the cake letting it drip down the sides.
- Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, and/or berries.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. This cake also freezes well for up to 6 weeks.
Refer to the article above for more tips and tricks.The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 12 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of glazed cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information. The information in the nutrition box are calculated through a program and there is room for error. If you need an accurate count, I recommend running the ingredients through your favorite nutrition calculator.**
Calories: 651kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 404mg | Potassium: 358mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 824IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 4mg