FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour 130 grams
- ½ cup cocoa powder 43 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 6 grams
- ¼ teaspoon salt 2 grams
- ½ cup salted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar 319 grams
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3 grams
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup salted butter 1 stick
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray. Set the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Pour the boiling water into a bowl or large measuring cup. Stir the oatmeal into the boiling water and set it aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add the oatmeal to the creamed butter. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter/oatmeal mixture and mix again until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 22-25 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when you touch it.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- *Plan to make the frosting about 15 minutes before the cake is done. The cake should be frosted while it is warm.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and milk. Heat just until the mixture starts to bubble. Remove from the heat.
- Using a hand mixer, gradually beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla until completely blended.
- Spread the frosting on the cake as soon as it is out of the oven.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container.